New Computer?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Computer?

Post by Piggle on Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:24 pm

I just recently built a PC in the Summer, and it's sad to say I'm not very pleased with it.
Current Specs:
PC Specs:
CPU: i5 4670K OC'd to 4.2 GHz  | GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DCII  |  Motherboard: ASUS ROG Gene VI  |  Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX case  |  RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer  |  HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB  |  Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM 24.0"  |  PSU: Corsair 760W

One I want to get:

i7 4770k
780ti
Same Motherboard
Bitfenix Prodigy M
8GB A-DATA V2 DDR3-2400MHz
850W Corsair Modular PSU
250GB Samsung SSD (Already Have)
1TB Caviar Blue Drive
Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing

Opinions on any of this? I'd really not be drowning much money in this build, as I have enough money because I have a decent job and I got 500 dollars for Christmas (that's all I asked for) and the build I want is exactly 1700 dollars (US) and I can sell my build for 1300-1350.
avatar
Piggle
Senior Patrolman
Senior Patrolman

Posts : 31
Join date : 2013-11-19
Age : 18
Location : Wonderland

http://pigsquared.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Computer?

Post by Hambosauce on Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:10 am

I will say this, with that video card you will not get insane frames on any games. You would need to have like 3 in crossfire or something. I have the Radeon HD 6850 before my GTX Titan and I get the exact same frames on most games. My suggestions are:

∙If you got the money then sure go for the next best video card but expect a successor within 6 months.
∙Good CPU
∙Keep the RAM you got and don't get anything over 8GB. Not one game today requires more than 4 and the only one that does is Planet Side 2 which needs 6GB.
∙Keep your current PSU, an extra 90W isn't going to make a difference.
∙Decent case but if you got the extra cash go for something a big larger and with more airflow, like these:
Good looking and lots of space, decent airflow http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225
Lots of space and excellent airflow http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119265
∙As for the water cooler, get this:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/404943/Hydro_Series_H80i_Extreme_Performance_Liquid_CPU_Cooler
I have it and it is amazing.

_________________
avatar
Hambosauce
Major General
Major General

Posts : 362
Join date : 2013-09-08
Age : 23
Location : Missouri, United States

Back to top Go down

Re: New Computer?

Post by Meiglos on Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:38 am

I am gonna be getting a new PC soon, I am thinking:

i7-4770 - 3.4Ghz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
12GB - DDR3
500 Watt PSU

Link

_________________
avatar
Meiglos
Superintendent
Superintendent

Posts : 219
Join date : 2013-08-19
Location : San Paro

Back to top Go down

Re: New Computer?

Post by Hambosauce on Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:18 am

Decent build. Should be able to give you 60 frames on APB and somewhere from 35-50 frames on the newest games (Highest settings).

_________________
avatar
Hambosauce
Major General
Major General

Posts : 362
Join date : 2013-09-08
Age : 23
Location : Missouri, United States

Back to top Go down

Re: New Computer?

Post by Piggle on Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:15 am

Hambosauce wrote:I will say this, with that video card you will not get insane frames on any games. You would need to have like 3 in crossfire or something. I have the Radeon HD 6850 before my GTX Titan and I get the exact same frames on most games. My suggestions are:

∙If you got the money then sure go for the next best video card but expect a successor within 6 months.
∙Good CPU
∙Keep the RAM you got and don't get anything over 8GB. Not one game today requires more than 4 and the only one that does is Planet Side 2 which needs 6GB.
∙Keep your current PSU, an extra 90W isn't going to make a difference.
∙Decent case but if you got the extra cash go for something a big larger and with more airflow, like these:
Good looking and lots of space, decent airflow http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225
Lots of space and excellent airflow http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119265
∙As for the water cooler, get this:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/404943/Hydro_Series_H80i_Extreme_Performance_Liquid_CPU_Cooler
I have it and it is amazing.

I need the 780ti because I want to get 144hz in most games, not just 60fps, I'm going to be doing video rendering, so I will need more ram in the future, and I need a small case, I'm going to LAN parties and my dad's house (6 hours away from mine) every other weekend, and I bought a hefty power supply so I could SLI that 780ti and then get extra components here and there.

Also for the water cooler, I'm still looking to see if a single rad will fit in there without obstructing anything.
avatar
Piggle
Senior Patrolman
Senior Patrolman

Posts : 31
Join date : 2013-11-19
Age : 18
Location : Wonderland

http://pigsquared.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Computer?

Post by Nyxx on Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:05 pm

Piggle wrote:
Hambosauce wrote:I will say this, with that video card you will not get insane frames on any games. You would need to have like 3 in crossfire or something. I have the Radeon HD 6850 before my GTX Titan and I get the exact same frames on most games. My suggestions are:

∙If you got the money then sure go for the next best video card but expect a successor within 6 months.
∙Good CPU
∙Keep the RAM you got and don't get anything over 8GB. Not one game today requires more than 4 and the only one that does is Planet Side 2 which needs 6GB.
∙Keep your current PSU, an extra 90W isn't going to make a difference.
∙Decent case but if you got the extra cash go for something a big larger and with more airflow, like these:
Good looking and lots of space, decent airflow http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225
Lots of space and excellent airflow http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119265
∙As for the water cooler, get this:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/404943/Hydro_Series_H80i_Extreme_Performance_Liquid_CPU_Cooler
I have it and it is amazing.

I need the 780ti because I want to get 144hz in most games, not just 60fps, I'm going to be doing video rendering, so I will need more ram in the future, and I need a small case, I'm going to LAN parties and my dad's house (6 hours away from mine) every other weekend, and I bought a hefty power supply so I could SLI that 780ti and then get extra components here and there.

Also for the water cooler, I'm still looking to see if a single rad will fit in there without obstructing anything.

You might want to get a heftier power supply if you're planning on SLI with the 780 ti. Considering you've got watercooling, I'm assuming you're going to do some overclocking with both your GPU and CPU. 850 watts is going to cut it very close; PSUs are the most underrated component in a PC, if it fails, other parts have a high chance of being damaged. I would suggest you get at least a 1000 watt.

And I'm assuming you want 144 fps to make use of your 144hz monitor right? (or at least anything higher than 60 fps?) In all honesty, if you're planning to play the newest games, there is no chance you'll get anywhere near that, unless you're playing Call of doody of course :p.

I'll go ahead and tell you what I regret from my previous build. Go ahead and buy 2011 socket motherboard and a X930k CPU (X being 3 or 4). I don't know what games you play, but for many of mine, my PC is CPU bottlenecked, including APB. Not only that, but you'll get the benefit of upgradability in the future as the 2011 socket is updated yearly with new processors. This is the part that you want to not be stingy on if you're doing rendering. Rendering does not rely on the GPU, instead, it relies on your CPU.

_________________
Watch me stream on twitch!
avatar
Nyxx
H.U.R.T. Officer
H.U.R.T. Officer

Posts : 109
Join date : 2013-08-07
Age : 24
Location : SC, US

http://twitch.tv/apbrnyxx

Back to top Go down

Re: New Computer?

Post by Piggle on Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:04 pm

Nyxx wrote:
Piggle wrote:
Hambosauce wrote:I will say this, with that video card you will not get insane frames on any games. You would need to have like 3 in crossfire or something. I have the Radeon HD 6850 before my GTX Titan and I get the exact same frames on most games. My suggestions are:

∙If you got the money then sure go for the next best video card but expect a successor within 6 months.
∙Good CPU
∙Keep the RAM you got and don't get anything over 8GB. Not one game today requires more than 4 and the only one that does is Planet Side 2 which needs 6GB.
∙Keep your current PSU, an extra 90W isn't going to make a difference.
∙Decent case but if you got the extra cash go for something a big larger and with more airflow, like these:
Good looking and lots of space, decent airflow http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225
Lots of space and excellent airflow http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119265
∙As for the water cooler, get this:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/404943/Hydro_Series_H80i_Extreme_Performance_Liquid_CPU_Cooler
I have it and it is amazing.

I need the 780ti because I want to get 144hz in most games, not just 60fps, I'm going to be doing video rendering, so I will need more ram in the future, and I need a small case, I'm going to LAN parties and my dad's house (6 hours away from mine) every other weekend, and I bought a hefty power supply so I could SLI that 780ti and then get extra components here and there.

Also for the water cooler, I'm still looking to see if a single rad will fit in there without obstructing anything.

You might want to get a heftier power supply if you're planning on SLI with the 780 ti. Considering you've got watercooling, I'm assuming you're going to do some overclocking with both your GPU and CPU. 850 watts is going to cut it very close; PSUs are the most underrated component in a PC, if it fails, other parts have a high chance of being damaged. I would suggest you get at least a 1000 watt.

And I'm assuming you want 144 fps to make use of your 144hz monitor right? (or at least anything higher than 60 fps?)  In all honesty, if you're planning to play the newest games, there is no chance you'll get anywhere near that, unless you're playing Call of doody of course :p.

I'll go ahead and tell you what I regret from my previous build. Go ahead and buy 2011 socket motherboard and a X930k CPU (X being 3 or 4). I don't know what games you play, but for many of mine, my PC is CPU bottlenecked, including APB. Not only that, but you'll get the benefit of upgradability in the future as the 2011 socket is updated yearly with new processors. This is the part that you want to not be stingy on if you're doing rendering. Rendering does not rely on the GPU, instead, it relies on your CPU.

I was gonna get a 2011 socket, but it was way too expensive for me, and the 2011 socket is being abandoned for newer tech, as the haswell-e is rumored not to use the old 2011, also at a microcenter near my house there is a 4770k 120 dollars off and my dad is gonna put 190 into it. I'm also planning on getting a 120hz instead now.
avatar
Piggle
Senior Patrolman
Senior Patrolman

Posts : 31
Join date : 2013-11-19
Age : 18
Location : Wonderland

http://pigsquared.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Computer?

Post by Zhartan on Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:16 pm

If you are using a single dvd burner i will go for that water cooling system : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181035

i use it on a CM Storm Scout (case) and I have less space and it's fit ...

edit: Just make some search and with your case and someone already did it : http://www.overclock.net/t/1382391/tpu-corsair-obsidian-350d-m-atx-chassis-pictured/690
avatar
Zhartan
Officer First Grade
Officer First Grade

Posts : 27
Join date : 2013-11-29
Location : Quebec, Canada

http://www.twitch.tv/zhartan

Back to top Go down

Re: New Computer?

Post by Piggle on Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:06 pm

Zhartan wrote:If you are using a single dvd burner i will go for that water cooling system : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181035

i use it on a CM Storm Scout (case) and I have less space and it's fit ...

edit: Just make some search and with your case and someone already did it : http://www.overclock.net/t/1382391/tpu-corsair-obsidian-350d-m-atx-chassis-pictured/690

I'm not building in it, I already did. I'm selling the 350D and getting a Prodigy M
avatar
Piggle
Senior Patrolman
Senior Patrolman

Posts : 31
Join date : 2013-11-19
Age : 18
Location : Wonderland

http://pigsquared.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Computer?

Post by Zhartan on Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:26 pm

I see
it's a nice build good luck in your sell Smile
avatar
Zhartan
Officer First Grade
Officer First Grade

Posts : 27
Join date : 2013-11-29
Location : Quebec, Canada

http://www.twitch.tv/zhartan

Back to top Go down

Re: New Computer?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum